Mississippi Mudslide Cake Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee (dry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
Kahlua whipped cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Bailey Irish Cream liqueur
- 2 Tablespoons Kahlua liqueur
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chips (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped chocolate sandwich cookies (Oreos) or just serve with your favorite ice cream on top.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine, sugar and eggs, beating on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Combine, hot water, cocoa powder, instant coffee and salt. Add to sugar mixture until well combined.
- Turn mixer down to low speed and add flour, baking soda and baking powder, mixing just until combined, making sure to scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix just until combined.
- Dived batter evenly between 3 greased 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 22-25 minutes, until toothpick incerted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cakes cool for 15 minutes
- Then invert onto racks to cool completely.
Kahlua Whipped Cream
- Before making whipped cream, place large mixing bowl and beaters/whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill.
- Place whipping cream in chilled bowl and beat on high speed until soft peaks begin to form.
- Turn mixer speed down to medium while adding remaining ingredients
- Mix until stiff peaks form but being careful to not over beat.
- Refrigerate whipped cream until time to assemble cake.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl (use a 2 cup measuring cup) place chocolate chips and cream
- . Heat in microwave on high for 45 seconds, until cream is hot but not boiling.
- If needed, heat an additional 15 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and let sit for 2 minutes before stirring until chocolate is completely smooth and all chocolate is melted.
- Let cool before using
- Place one layer of cooled cake on cake plate.
- Use 1/3 of whipped cream, spread whipped cream on top of cake to within 1/2 of edge of cake (this will spread with the additional weight of the other layers.)
- Sprinkle whipped cream with 1/3 of chopped cookies and then drizzle with 1/3 of chocolate ganache.
- Repeat with next 2 layers.
- Refrigerate cake until ready to serve
Many have their own different ways to make Mississippi Mud Cake. This is just one recipe out of many but I did enjoy eating this while I was young.