Preparation Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes Serves: 4 – 6 as a side
Ingredients 5 potatoes, quartered and parboiled* 8 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled 1 cup(225g ) shredded cheddar cheese 1/2 ( 115 g) cup sour cream 1/2 (115ml) cup milk 1/2 bunch chopped scallions (green onions) 1 10oz (280g) can Ro*Tel 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Parboil the potatoes in boiling water for 10-15 minutes and drain.
2. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
3. Lightly grease a 3-quart casserole dish or 9″ x 13″ casserole pan.
4. Place the quartered potatoes into the bottom of the casserole dish.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper.
6. Pour the mixture over the potatoes.
7. Pour the Ro*Tel on top of this layer and spread evenly with a wooden spoon.
8. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon over the top and finish with an even layer of the shredded cheddar cheese.
9. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the preheated oven.
10. After 20 minutes, remove the foil and leave to cook for an additional 10 minutes. Sprinkle the freshly chopped scallions over the top before serving.
Suggestion:If you can’t find Ro*Tel, try your hand at making your own by placing 10oz of chopped tomatoes into a saucepan with 1 chopped jalapeño. Allow it to simmer until the liquid has reduced by 1/3.
*Parboiling means you’ll be cooking the potatoes partially so the time they have to cook in the oven will be reduced.